Tuesday, July 27, 2010

concerns

I know that there are concerns for every one involved. I want to clarify any questions that we may have, on medicating others and Abi's morphine.  As for my mother she has had 3 nights that she has been medicated. Out of the 9 nights that Abi has been in the hospital we have only given mom medication for 3 of those nights and it is only when she is so exhausted that she has lost all common sense and concern for herself.  The first night it was a tylenol pm  the second and 3rd nights it was a valium. That is all she has had.

As for Abi she is on a morphine pump, she can have a bit of morphine every 10 minutes. We absolutely do not push it on her unless she is agitated and trying to move a lot (the doctors and nurses want her as still as possible because she is still on full spinal precautions) and is crying out that she is in pain, Please remember the doctors have set this up and she is trying to rest but is unable to due to the pain. She also has a head injury, that causes a lot of confusion.  If Abi is resting well we let her rest we don't care if she goes 10 minutes or 3 hours with out morphine as long as she is not suffering. Let's go over Abi's injuries again just so we can clarify why she would need a lot of pain meds.

L3 vertebrae fractured
Sacrum broken
12 inch incision on her abdomen left open
5 surgeries that she is recovering from
sutures in her hips and her head
Pins in her broken in 3 places pelvis.
spleen removal
head injury with a brain bleed

 not to mention that she has a really bad sore throat from her ventilator, and now has a feeding tube down her nose.

I hope this clarifies that we are not force feeding anyone medication on a daily basis and also that Abi is getting the utmost care. I know her doctors and nurses are working round the clock to get her better
Today they put in a feeding tube and also restrained her again.  The last thing they did was give her a shot for the pain that would last longer than the morphine, because it wasn't covering the pain for her.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

abi i was going to come up saturday but i felt like i should wait till you are better and more aware of whats going on... they girls can't wait for that day.. haley has been looking at bandaids already... we send out love... tell your sister thanks for updates... love kakes, haley, naynay ps keep track of that pump

Unknown said...

Stacey thank you so much for your updates. I know how your mom is with you kids...she would be up to the end of all days when any of you were sick and she does forget about herself. Abi you need to get better quick...I am missing your witty comments on facebook. Love you guys!!!

Annie said...

I know what u are all going through and I do not think that u need to worry about medicating others if they need it they need it! The doctors know what they are doing and would not give abi meds if she did not need them. I hope she gets better soon! Your family is all in my prayers!

GramaD said...

I know that the Drs. are doing what is best and that if it were my daughter I would need help sleeping too. I don't think it is extreme at all. You do what needs to be done to get through this. You are in my prayers.
Love in Christ, Lisa Del Toro

Natasha and Livia said...

I agree Annie!!!!! I just feel so bad for everyone they ALL deserve some good rest!!! Dido on annie!! I love you abi and if I had a cure all pill I'd give it to each and everyone of you!!;O)xoxoxo Goodnight and sweet dreams!! You to stacey!! Keep your chin up!! People shouldn't be harping about anything in this moment in time! I love that you are taking care of everyone my sister is the rock in my family and I know she would do the same for me in a heart beat! Thanks a billion for updating us people on the outside!! Sleep well stacey!!char..josh..grandpa and all the rest of the family too! NO matter What it takes!!lol:O)

Anonymous said...

Stacy, I think you are doing an amazing job of being the glue that hold's your family together. Your job is twice as big as you are watching out for all sides so that your mom can just concentrate on Abi. As a "pro" at being a hospital patient care giver, I know how draining it can get (physically & emotionally)so please take care of your self too! Dont worry to much about other people's comments or suggestions,they mean well. You know what is right for your family, how much they can handle & when to do what is necessary for all involved. Be of good cheer! your incredible :)
Continued blessings on you all!
Geri Burnside

Unknown said...

Having spent 6 weeks at Primary Children's with Chris, I know all about the long days and nights and the lack of restful sleep. Hang in there- now is when you have to get your rest- kind of like having a baby- sleep whenever you can. As for Abi's morphine pump- pain meds work best if you take them BEFORE the pain is unbearable- so encourage her (or help her) to be regular with it -not while she's sleeping, but when you see the physical signs that the pain is returning- that will help keep it at a manageable level. Love ya!!!